Thursday, February 11, 2010

olaf olaf olaf


Tuesdays and Thursdays are devoted to my internship with artist Olaf Breuning. He's an amazing artist and has gained international recognition. Currently, he's on the cover of ArtNews magazine! Here is the article and this is his website. Today was only a half day, spent scanning in the articles Olaf is in to add to his site and then packaging and sending a drawing and tshirt to a friend of his, named Cricket of course. Olaf recently returned from a 2 week trip home to Switzerland, so there wasn't much to do at the studio this week. In the coming weeks, it looks like I'll be helping Olaf with his photography pieces, working on the computer, editing and researching. Olaf is a quirky artist, but very serious in his work. But somedays, it's hard to take him seriously as he sits on his futon with his laptop set on a very Olaf-like piece -- a mop bucket on wheels, with a water jug set inside and an orange colored tray on top, all pieced together perfectly for Olaf's laptop. The picture is part of the studio, taken on my phone. Today Olaf's music of choice included Die Antwoord, a South African hip hop (ish) group. Very Olaf. This weekend is his birthday and I am honored to have been invited! So far, Olaf said 300 people are planning to attend which means hopefully I'll make some good connections!


Other than my internship, I didn't do much today. But, I did get a chance to Skype with my beautiful roomie all the way in old York (England)! Such a pleasure to see that WOG's wonderful smiling face. After our chat, I endulged in a wonderful nap. The stiff, plastic mattresses provided by Hotel St. George do wonders for my sleeping patterns, or rather, take away from my beauty sleep. Unfortunetly, it looks like I might have to invest in a feather mattress pad, but who has money for that? I understand now where the term "starving artist" comes from. $60 spent at Pearl Paint or $60 at the grocery store? Pearl Paint, please. I did indulge in some cupcakes the other night though. My Valentine's Day treat for myself!

Hopefully I'll have some interesting things to write about after this weekend -- with Olaf's party, Chelsea gallery tours, lunch with my cousin Jackie (!!), and Rachael's fiance coming into town, it should be a fun couple days.

No comments:

Post a Comment